Do you have a relationship with a nonprofit that you’re worried about? I can help. My goal is to strengthen the container for the organization’s mission work. We will work collaboratively and creatively to identify both the issues of concern and the vision of how it will work best.
- Legal & regulatory
- Certificate of incorporation & amendments, bylaws, required & recommended policies
- Audit, 990s, Char500, other compliance
- Financial & administrative
- Accounting, grants management, finance policies & procedures
- Human resources
- IT & physical plant
- Internal & external relationships
- Marketing & communications
- Employee & union
- Board/Executive director
- Funders & development
- Organizational planning
How do we assess? Collaboratively build the vision of a strengthened container:
- Listening, gentle questioning, coaching
- Creative problem solving methods
- Conflict resolution methods
- One-on-one interviews
- Document reviews
Then what? Clarify what’s happening. I develop a document/report that describes the vision of the strengthened container, the issue areas, who is involved, why there are issues and how we can improve to achieve our vision.
Follow up. The next steps are determined by the relationship and the report – Do core legal issues need to be addressed? Or should we focus on developing the financial and administrative processes? For example, we might redesign your QuickBooks file, develop RFPs for specialized work, write job descriptions to fill gaps, or dig more deeply into specific areas.
Why Heidi? I’ve had a long and varied career as an attorney, a partner at an accounting/consulting firm, founder or former chair or officer of multiple nonprofits, business owner, grant writer, and QuickBooks guru. I also have certifications in mediation and conflict resolution and experience in IT and communications.